MP turns 16 months tomorrow, so I thought I'd list all the things she can do and the changes we've seen since we've been her parents.
- MP can say these words (but is only just now figuring out what they mean): Up, Hot (and she makes a blowing face), Good Girl, Uh-Oh, Wow, Ow, Ma, Mama, Dada, PooPoo, Bye, Hi, Bottle (the one she seems to be the best at recognizing). She babbles all the time.
- MP understands quite a lot. She can go get something if you point at it and ask her to bring it to you; she knows what "brush your teeth" means and will run over to the door if I say "should we take J out?" She will pull up her shirt and show you her belly if you ask, and if you say "where is your nose?" she will put her finger on her nose and say "Boop!" Random is currently teaching her to smack her butt when he says "where's your butt?"
- MP eats just about anything, but she loves macaroni and eggs (not together, separate). She has a pretty hearty appetite. When she doesn't like something, she makes a disgusted face (it's the funniest. face. ever, and she made it yesterday after trying a sprig of cilantro she was clamboring for). And when she likes something, she says "mmmmmm!" She said this yesterday after putting a dry macaroni noodle in her mouth. She wasn't supposed to be eating anything, so I held out my hand and told her to drop it. She did.
- MP is still easily fitting into 12-18 month clothing; some of it is a little big on her. She has gotten taller, but not bigger. She's pretty skinny except for her cheeks, which are luscious (those cheeks have spawned the nickname I gave her, which, coincidentally, was also my nickname on an Internet board--Cheeks).
- MP walks everywhere. She also runs everywhere. In public places she will walk around, and sometimes run from me giggling. She's fearless but always checking to see where I am.
- When MP falls, she almost never cries. She's a tough girl. Instead, she looks at me, waits for me to come over and pick her up, puts her head on my shoulder, and fake cries. Then she looks at me to see if I'm looking and grins. She will sometimes fake cry for a few minutes. (I love it when she does this.)
- MP also likes to pick up the tiniest objects imaginable and give them to me. If she's climbing the stairs, and she sees a tiny bit of fluff, she will pick it up and hand it to me. I think she does this because I do this. By the time we're at the top of the stairs, I have a handful of crap. She's like my mini-vac.
- Emotionally MP is doing, I think, pretty well. She rarely cries. She falls asleep within five minutes of me putting her in the crib with no crying. She takes naps and if she wakes up early, she puts herself back to sleep. She has almost stopped raging completely (when we first met her, she raged/cried every night; now it's five minutes a week, if that, and only when she wakes up from a nap).
- MP loves to kiss and hug.
- She won't go to strangers, but if I know the person and I'm near, she'll let them hold her.
- She can sit still for an entire Baby Einstein video. She can play by herself for about half an hour at a time. But when she wants me, watch out.
- When we first met MP, she hated anything plush: stuffed animals, dolls, whatever--if it was soft and cuddly, she'd pick it up in two fingers and fling it away from her. Now she is obsessed with stuffed toys. She carries around teddy bears and gives them constant kisses and hugs. She'll hold them out for us to kiss. I think this is a significant change--her ability to give love, and accept comfort, has really grown.
- She rarely wakes up at night.
- She loves to make weird noises. And it's super easy to make her laugh--tickle her, hold her upside down, make a weird noise, or blow a raspberry on her belly.
How did I get so lucky?