In Two Parts!
The Pregnancy Part:
Oh, YAY. After reading 30 some comments about pooping on the delivery table I took my horrified self to Random and told him how all of you confirmed my fears. He cackled and waggled his eyebrows in glee and informed me that yes, indeed, he was going to make sure I not only knew if I pooped on the table but that I remembered that fact forvevah, courtesy of Him Truly. SO GREAT. And yeah, I'm worried about it now and maybe I won't be when I'm worrying about things like BLOODY SHOW (holy moly, why does everything have to sound so frightening? Can't we call it COLOFRUL FUN MOMENT or something like that?) and placentas and cords. But really, I don't allow him to see me go to the bathroom. Even when I was at death's door on my honeymoon and was Exorcist vomiting non stop and had to be taken to a St. Lucian hospital (complete with a squadron of flies dropping from the ceilings) and had to use the potty, he was instructed to LEAVE IMMEDIATELY because I could handle it all myself, thanks. He protested but I'm glad I made him skedaddle because honestly he'd still be ragging me about it today. When I am in the bathroom doing my "biness" he paws at the door and pretends he's our cat (who has been gone a while) because she used to do that. And then he says to MP "Where's Mama? Heh heh heh."
ANYWAY. So I'm not going to think about any of that for a while. In the meantime, I have some v. important questions for all you pregnant-knowing people:
- Diet soda. I am an addict. Up until I got pregnant, I drank 3 cans a day. That's the only caffeine I have. I'm down to one can--it took me this long to cut back--but it's not the caffeine I finally caved for...it's the artificial sweeteners. I'm not really worried about aspartame; my body seems to be fine with it and I've done some reading on it. But I'd like to hear from you addicts out there--what did you do? What did your doctors say?
- Do you think I'm safe to color my hair (as in highlights and root lift)? I'm 17 weeks.
- When did you start to feel the baby move, and what did it feel like?
- When did you start to show so that other people noticed you were pregnant without you telling them or prompting them?
The Adoption Part
I've been trying to subtly introduce MP's adoption story through photo albums that we have. So I'll say, "this is when we were in China!" "This is the day Mommy and Daddy adopted you, we were so happy!" I know she doesn't understand what adoption is yet, and doesn't seem to have grief associated (yet) with it, from what I can tell. But with the arrival of a new sibling, I am even more concerned that she might develop some issues, especially around not having grown in my belly. She does like to play "baby" now and then and climb into my lap. She's pretty needy and affectionate, too. So here are my questions for all you adoptive parents:
- When did your child begin to understand what adoption was and what it meant?
- Did your child feel grief? If so, when did that begin?
- How do you address the adoption story?
Thanks for any and all assvice.
Leave the poop out, please.